Started as a way for Brits to get their Christmas Crackers 5 years ago, the event has grown each year.
The event has become so successful that this year it will be run over 2 days, which the organisers hope will cut down the crowds. “Last year we had just over 4,000 visitors – a 30% increase – and it was almost too many” said Robin Hicks, the organiser.
“We hope the 2 day event will spread the crowds, as the 11th century chapel isn’t really designed for such large numbers”
Last year 45% of the visitors were French, who seem to have taken to the Cracker Fair – described on local TV as “The Christmas event in L’Herault”
About a half of the 120 exhibitors are French – the rest being drawn from 11 countries.
Apart from the trade exhibitors there will be local organisations promoting their charities and a range of entertainers at the weekend event showcasing their work to a large audience.
“This year we expect to top 5,000 visitors which will generate funds to run and develop the local community based charity website WoW – www.heraultwhaton.info”
More info from Robin Hicks 04 67 24 75 38 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTES FOR EDITORS.
· Chateau de Cassan is a listed ancient monument north of the town of Pezenas in Herault
· WoW is a 1901 association – so the fair will provide support for the website and its development –
· The WoW site, which provides listing information, news and the services of a “Parish Magazine” has been read by over 52,000 people in 132 countries since it was launched 18 months ago.
· Beziers Cap d’Agde Airport are sponsoring the event and also hosting local journalists for a lunch and providing a support desk
· A Catalogue will be given to every visitor, which provide an invaluable support for the craftsmen and women who exhibit.
· Cassan have lowered the entrance price to €2 for adults - children are free
· Entertainment 2 or more choirs, a string trio, a brace of pianists, a jazz group, and a folk singer will be performing in the music room
· Tombola – Beziers airport have kicked off with 2 free air tickets
· Organisational support is being provided by members of the local branch of CSF (Cancer Support France) – parking and event management
· Poster design by Leamington Spa born artist Diana White